About this service
Our General Legal Advice Service helps people to understand their legal issues and options, to solve their legal problems.
Our lawyers and volunteer solicitors from the local community provide free legal advice appointments for help with a wide range of legal issues including:
- Family law (parenting arrangements, property settlement, separation and divorce)
- Family violence
- Child protection
- Fines and infringements
- Debt problems
- Consumer complaints
- Complaints about government services (including Centrelink)
- Minor criminal matters
A legal advice appointment can help you to:
- Understand your legal issue, rights and options;
- Know what steps to take next to solve your legal problem; and
- Know who you can contact for further legal assistance if you need it.
There are three types of appointment available:
- Daytime appointment during office hours, between 9:00am and 4:00pm.
- Telephone appointments are also available from 9:00am to 4:00pm for people who cannot make it to our Shepparton office.
- Walk-in appointments may also be available if you drop-in to our Shepparton office. This will depend if one of our lawyers is available and able to help you on the day.
Who is this service for?
Free legal advice appointments are available to people who live in Greater Shepparton, or the local council areas of Strathbogie, Benalla, Mansfield, Moira and parts of Mitchell Shire.
How to access this service
To book an appointment for legal advice, please visit our Shepparton office or call us on (03) 5831 0900 or FREECALL 1800 310 900 during office hours, Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm. You do not need a referral.
When you contact us to make an appointment, we will ask you some questions about your legal problem and confirm your personal details. We use this information to work out if we have a lawyer that can help you. If we can’t help, we will give you information about other legal services that might be able to assist.
We respect your privacy. To learn more about how we protect your personal information see our Client’s Rights, Responsibilities and Privacy page.
Legal Help Request Form
Fill in the form below to contact us for help. If your matter is urgent, or you have a court date coming up, please call us.
Other support services that are available to help you 24-hours a day include:
13 11 14
Safe Steps Family Violence Help Line
1800 015 188
1300 78 99 78
Kids Help Line
1800 55 1800